Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Attention to Detail Part 1 - Evaluating the Game

This is part of a series entitled Attention to Detail. The worst thing in poker (and life) is going into "autopilot" mode. The way to prevent this is to use my active creativity to constantly analyse the game and each individual player's deviations from "The Perfect Strategy". Much of this is rewritten from the Poker Geniues Slansky...

When I sit down at a table, from now on, I will focus on a few aspects. Noticing how the table is playing is a top priorty. First off, where is my money going to come from? Who are the worst players, how big are there stacks, and what sort of mistakes do they make?

If the worst players have big stacks and play loosely, focus on playing big pots against them. Work on setting them up for when you make a great hand. Then make a couple big bets, and get paid off by one of your targets.

If the worst players play weak-tight, play lots of small pots. Make frequent small bets and raises and take advantage of the fact that they fold too much, avoid big pots. Maybe even buy in smaller.

-from NL Hold'em Theory and Practice, David Slansky
After your first few hands, develop a plan, and tailor your plays to help you execute. Look around the table for your victim! I played from 1600-2100 (5 hrs) and jumped up to $780. I noticed I wasn't paying close enough attention to the table, and after dropping down to $748, I decided to stop-atleast for awhile.

I need to develop some time of detailed player category system.
Unfortunately came back on and lost $80 on paired board. What an idiot I am. Of course he had trips, and I didn't outdraw him with my crappy two pair.

ENDING BANKROLL: $640.00
-Braien


March Goals

  • 1. $6,000 Bankroll
  • 2. Truly Believing: I Am Lucky!
  • 3. Stop Riding the Poker Emotions Roller Coaster
  • 4. Mental Sharpness - Translated into Great Reads

February Goals

  • 1. $2,000 Bankroll
  • 2. Each time I sit down at a table, develop a plan, and pick my victim(s)
  • 3. Play middle pairs better! Be willing to fold them.
  • 4. Create a Player Category System
  • 5. Truly Study the Theory of NL Hold'em
  • 6. Finish Daniel Negreanu's Power Hold'em Strategy
  • 7. Consistent blog updates